Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tips & Trends – Fierce Feathering

For the last few years, the 70s and 80s have snuck back into the style spotlight. From the reintroduction of leggings to neon colors, it seems the long tormented decades are now in vogue.

While most still shudder at the thought of a perm, there is something intriguing about big hair styles – with maybe a twinge of feathering. Perhaps feathered hair isn’t for everyone – yet, a few brave celebs seem to be incorporating the look again.

Feathered hair can range from subtle to extreme (read Farrah Fawcett circa Charlie’s Angels). Luckily, its easy to use the feathered look if you have just the lightest bit of layering. So, here are some very basic steps and product suggestions for achieving the feathered look.

Sudsy Start

My shampoo collection is always growing but lately I’ve been really partial to one. Philip B. Peppermint & Avocado Volumizing and Clarifying makes my scalp and hair feel so clean, so tingly, and so fresh. At the same time, I get a bit of lift for both my roots and my mental state with the combination of peppermint oil, avocado, gardenia, sweet almond, lavender, geranium, black walnut and so many other plant extracts. Philip B. makes so many wonderful shampoos and conditioners, I want them all. But this one is the perfect beginning to achieving solid, fresh style.

Where to Buy: Folica.com, bebeautiful.com

Deep Condition
In addition to adding volume, I like to thicken my strands with the famous Bumble and bumble Thickening Conditioner. A long time B & b fan, this conditioner is in my constant rotation, its lightweight and helps plump up my hair’s appearance.

I can’t say I’m wild about the fragrance but I can deal for fuller locks. Plus with lots of wheat proteins, aloe and vitamin E, it’s another enriching product for styling success. Sometimes I pair it with the B & b Thickening Spray for the ultimate in thick hair.

Where to Buy: Folica.com, Tuvee.com

Lift Off

Since the 70s and 80s were all about BIG hair, the next logical step is to boost hair up! For this, I rely on Kenra Root Lifting Spray. Complete with amino acids, take the Kenra Spray and spray on damp hair at the roots, work through hair and move on to blow drying. It’s a quick but important step for capturing that glorious retro volume.

Fluff and Dry

You can do much of the magic with your hair dryer. An excellent hair dryer is the Elchim 2001 Professional; it’s fast and ferocious with 1800 watts of power and seven switch combinations. Honestly, this dryer is no joke, but for this style you can slip on the concentrator nozzle and infuse those roots with volume.

Try blowing over and away from hair to bring out the feathering in soft layers and bangs. The bigger the better, with only a few steps left.


Curl’s Best Friend
I must admit, I’m not exactly handy with a curling iron. Feathering might be the extent of my talent. But if you’re anything like me, may I suggest a clip free curling iron to avoid those unsightly dents and bumps that it seems hard to avoid for the curling iron challenged.

Try the Amika Tourmaline Clip-Free Curler to take strands of hair near the face and curl loosely outward (away from the face!). Once satisfied with the flipped out curls move quickly on to the final two steps.

Where to Buy: Folica.com, SunCapsuleBeauty.com

Brush and Hold

Last two steps! Carefully brush your curls into a soft wings and spray into place! Gently mist some heavy duty hair spray over the look for hold, I recommend CHI Helmet Head Extra Firm Hair Spray or Spritz. It’s easy for finer hair to lose its style quickly, and feathered wings are gravity defying, so this hair spray will give the look that extra boost.

Where to Buy: Folica.com, Tuvee.com

When in doubt, always refer back to the ultimate feathered hair goddess for inspiration.

No comments: